Caring for your newborn may give you less time to care for your oral health. Some new moms may neglect or forget about their daily oral hygiene. This may increase the risk of dental disease and infections that can affect your overall health. Your dental health is essential during pregnancy and after childbirth. Practicing good oral care habits after your new baby arrives can help prevent gum disease and other oral health problems. Follow the steps below for a healthy smile:
- Maintain good oral hygiene habits. Brush your teeth twice (2) a day with a fluoride toothpaste, floss every day, and use a fluoridated, alcohol-free mouth rinse.
- Eat healthy foods. Choose a variety of foods from the five (5) food groups: fruits, vegetables, whole grains, proteins, and dairy products.
- Drink water or milk. Choose healthy beverages and less sugar-sweetened beverages.
- Practice healthy behaviors. Do not drink alcohol, smoke or use drugs.
- Keep regular dental checkups after your new baby arrives. Dental health benefits from seeing the dentist after childbirth:
- Continue with preventive dental care visits.
- Opportunity to discuss any dental concerns with the dentist, such as gum problems or healthy food options for strong teeth and healthy gums, especially if you are nursing.
- Get an early start on your baby’s dental care.