Gum Injury

Even with attempts to prevent injury, your child may still have instances where there is trauma to their mouth, either injuring their gums and/or possibly cracking/prematurely losing a tooth. If the gums begin to bleed from injury, hold a sterile wet gauze to their gums with steady pressure to stop the bleeding. Cover an icepack with a washcloth to hold to your child’s cheek to prevent severe swelling.

Monitor your child’s health, be sure to keep an eye out for any pain, fever, and/or swelling of the gums. Once the situation is under control, call your dental provider for their professional opinion. They might request the child to come in for an examination.

Injured Adult Tooth

If an injury results in your adult (permanent tooth) falling off or chipping, you must act fast!

    • Chipped or broken:
      • Collect all pieces of the tooth
      • Rinse the mouth with warm water
      • Call a dental provider right away and ask for an emergency visit
    • Permanent tooth knocked out:
      • Bite down on sterile gauze to stop the bleeding
      • Grab injured tooth by the crown (white, chewing surface of tooth)
      • Place in a cup of milk or your own saliva. Do not place in tap water!
      • Call a dental provider right away to schedule a visit

Mouth Guards and Night Guards

If you have a child who participates in any activities that may cause them to injure their mouth or causes them to clench their mouth from physical stress factors, a great preventive appliance to invest in is a mouth guard. Your dental provider can custom make a mouth guard, or for a more affordable option, drug stores do have appliances that you can mold at home.

A second preventive appliance that your child may need is a night guard. A night guard is needed when the child has a habit of clenching or grinding their teeth at night while sleeping. As a caregiver, you may not be aware if your child clenches or grinds, but if there is significant wear on your child’s teeth your dental provider will be able to identify the issue.